Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 14 May 2014

Info Post

I started our veggie garden over the weekend. It's a couple weeks later than I'd planned, but it's been so cold lately I'm not sure it matters. I overturned the soil and mixed in compost and more top soil to build up the beds and inject some nutrients. I also added wood shavings and seeded the two beds. Here's what I planted (with some help from Hannah):

Bed A
Peas
Spinach
Kale

Bed B
Lettuce
Beets


I still need to plant some parsley in our front garden next to the chives and sage, and I left some space in one of the beds for arugula (just need to purchase the seeds). We're also planning to build two more beds this year - to be planted in early- to mid-June. Those beds will look something like this:

Bed C
Cucumbers
Squash
Bush beans

Bed D
Tomatoes
Basil and Oregano
Peppers



I start each gardening season with the best of intentions, but my plans always seem to fall apart as the summer gets busier. One year it was over-planting and under-watering, and last year it was haphazard planting and, again, under-watering (why is that so hard to remember?!).

If my experience in project management has taught me anything, it's that planning, planning, planning is the key to success - something I've never done enough of in the past. This year, I created a spreadsheet (don't judge) to help me keep track of what needs to be done when. When to plant, what to plant and where, when to re-seed, when to fertilize, etc. I found a great online resource in the Halifax Seed Company, so the only thing I need to remember on my own is to water. Daily.

This weekend we're hoping to tackle some more outdoor work - including a lawn mow. It feels good to be getting my hands dirty again :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment