Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 26 May 2015

Info Post


Notice anything different? We finally installed baseboards on our main floor! Actually, I installed baseboards and I did it All By Myself.*

I should probably mention that Adam was expecting and willing to help, but I wanted and asked to tackle this project on my own (for his part, he made some incredible, back-breaking progress outside). I conquered my fear of the mitre saw (which, it turns out, was a pretty silly thing to be intimidated by) and learned how to cope inside corner joints, and I'm pretty damn proud of myself.

I should probably also mention that we've been living without baseboards for almost a year (we installed our new floors last summer). We've been living without baseboards for so long that having them feels weird. Like, I'm pretty sure baseboards are among the most basic features that people expect their home to have, and we're all, "La dee da, we fancy!"


I mean, it's just a slight improvement on the before, right?

I'm not going to make excuses because, it happened. BUT, one of the things holding us back was that I didn't want to use the same style baseboard we installed upstairs. I really like the baseboard we installed upstairs and I think it looks great with the hardwood. Cork floors feel modern to me, so I wanted a baseboard that was just a wee bit simpler to reflect that.



It would be pretty simple to replace the baseboard in the hallway if the two different styles start to bother us, but right now we don't notice it all. We're too busy marveling at how finished everything looks.


We've come a long way!


*Random aside: my mom saved a bunch of my childhood books, so I've been reading a lot of Little Critter stories to Hannah. Some of the things Little Critter fantasizes about doing in the book, All By Myself, include using a rotary phone, ordering from a mail order catalog, and carrying a giant cassette player around on his shoulder. I swear I'm not that old, and yet, none of these things have any relevance to Hannah's life. Luckily, this makes me smile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment