Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 19 June 2014

Info Post

We've been busy with some bigger projects lately, like installing a new privacy fence and getting ready for our new floors, but I've also been slowly tackling some nagging tasks around the house. It makes no sense, but sometimes the smallest, easiest tasks take the longest to complete. Maybe because they're less exciting than the big stuff, even if the space isn't finished without them.

I stained and installed this handrail a month or so ago - all by myself. I found this video tutorial really helpful, although my steps were a little different. Our contractor temporarily installed the handrail before the drywall was finished, so the brackets had already been attached.


I used a stud finder to locate and mark all of the studs, matched up my brackets, then used a level to measure up from the nose of the stair tread and mark my height. 


I actually stained the railing while it was on the wall. It just seemed easier that way. I used two coats of poly in a satin finish to protect it.


It's really nothing fancy, but it's simple and it's certainly safer this way (ahem, installed).


Unfortunately the steps still look like this. Let's hope that changes this summer, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment