Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 11 June 2015

Info Post

So last week I had the ridiculous good fortune to attend a conference in the South of France. I know. Believe me, I'm still pinching myself! I decided to fly over a few days early so that I could squeeze in a solo weekend in Nice.


The weather was gorgeous the entire time I was there, and I had a great time walking around the city. I did so much walking that I could barely straighten my legs when I got out of bed to head to my conference on Monday morning. There were beautiful views everywhere I looked and the air was filled with the sweet scent of flowers (I'm gushing, but it's true).


I made the trek up Castle Hill for some incredible views of the city and coastline; there were lots of families enjoying the day in the park atop the hill, which made me miss mine. Nice struck me as a very family-friendly place to vacation.



I spent a lot of time along the waterfront walking the Promenade des Anglais, and nearly a full day lying on the rocky beach (I didn't spring for the cushy beach chairs, but maybe next time!). There was some kind of Italian tourism event along the waterfront (pictured below), so I got to enjoy some yummy treats and a glass (or two) of Prosecco while staring out over the ocean.


I stayed at the Hotel Aria (pictured above, bottom left). It was a pretty basic three-star hotel, but the staff were friendly and helpful, my room was clean, the Wifi was plentiful and the location was excellent - a short walk to just about everywhere.


I had lunch (and dinner) at a couple of restaurants on Cours Saleya and the food was excellent. It's obviously a touristy spot, but there's a lot to see and take in while you eat, which is always nice when you're travelling on your own. I tried a few regional specialties, like Nicoise salad and fish soup, and of course, rose wine.



I also checked out the Cours Saleya markets. I wish I took more pictures, because the stalls were filled with the best-looking fruits, vegetables and other yummy treats. The flower market was gorgeous as well. I mean, check out those peonies!








On my last full day in town, I visited the Matisse Museum and the Roman ruins next door. Matisse lived and worked in Nice for nearly 30 years, and the museum is filled with his works and many of his personal belongings.


It was a great trip and I really hope to go back with Adam and Hannah someday, with more time to check out other sights and cities in the area.

0 comments:

Post a Comment