Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 29 June 2015

Info Post

After much talk, we finally made the decision to join a CSA (I know, we're a little late to the bandwagon - oops!). Each week, I'm posting about what we got and what we made with it. Read more here.

WEEK 8

We got:
  • Nettles
  • Fiddleheads
  • Parsnip
  • Asparagus
  • Onions
  • Tomato
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Apples
  • Rhubarb

We made:
  • Nettle pesto with pan-fried salmon and roasted tomatoes
  • Sauteed fiddleheads with lemon and garlic
  • Rhubarb and apple pie with mint
  • Thai-style grilled tofu (marinade recipe here) with  chive (leftover from Week 7) mashed potatoes and sauteed asparagus


    Stray observations:
    • I have to admit that I didn't know what to make of the nettle, especially after receiving an email warning shareholders to wear gloves when handling it. BUT. This pesto was so easy to make and it was delicious! Even better, nettles are high in iron, which is fantastic news when you don't eat meat.
    • This week, Adam blanched our fiddleheads before sauteing them with a little lemon and garlic. A really simple way to enjoy them, but it may be my favourite yet.
    • We're getting enough food in our shares now that we don't use all of it each week. We had chives leftover from last week, for example, and we didn't use all of our potatoes this week. We can't seem to use all of the rhubarb we've been getting either, so I've been chopping and freezing it for later.


    WEEK 9

    I spent WEEK 9 in France, so I can't tell you what Adam made while I was away. I can tell you that we got:

    • Apples
    • Rhubarb
    • Tomatoes
    • Dried cranberries
    • Chives with flowers
    • Carrots
    • Greens
    • Turnip
    • Asparagus
    • Fiddleheads

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment