Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 12 March 2014

Info Post

One of my goals for my thirtieth year was to read 12 books. One book per month felt challenging, but doable. As it turned out, some months I didn't read any books and other months I read two or three. I learned that library deadlines are a great incentive to get reading :)

I beat my goal for the year, and managed to squeeze my fifteenth book in by my birthday. I thought it would be fun to share which books I read in case you're looking for one to add to your reading list.


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
The one-year "project" book is overdone, I know, but a few of Gretchen's rules have actually stuck with me since reading it. Like, if a task takes less than 5 minutes, do it now. It always pops into my head when I'm trying to avoid some annoying chore.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
Joan Didion is at least a hundred million times smarter than me, so many of her references are over my head. Still, her writing is beautiful and this book - about coping with her husband's death and her daughter's serious illness AT THE SAME TIME - is heartbreaking, inspiring and incredibly moving.

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
I read this book as part of an online book club and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I misjudged it at first because the cover looked a little romance-y (probably why they have that saying about book covers and judging). Anyway, it ended up being a stay-up-too-late-because-you-need-to-know-what-happens-next book.

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman
Another selection from the same book club, and I enjoyed this one as well. Partly because I was still a new mom when I read it (side note: how long until you're no longer considered a "new" mom?) and I was acutely aware of how motherhood affected my feelings about the characters' actions. Cryptic, I know, but read the book and you'll understand :)

February by Lisa Moore
I borrowed this book from my mom and really enjoyed it (which seems weird, since it's actually quite sad). Moore's writing moves seamlessly between past and present as she uses ordinary, everyday moments to tell the heartbreaking - but ultimately hopeful - story of one woman's struggle to cope with the loss of her husband.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
It took me awhile to get used to Lisa's writing style (it's silly, but something about the detail she put into describing what the characters were eating and drinking really annoyed me), but once I got over myself, I got fully wrapped up in this moving portrayal of a family coping with early onset Alzheimer's disease.

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
I'm a career-driven wife and mother - and a feminist - so I was eager to check out this book after listening to a radio interview with Sheryl. While I don't agree with all of Sheryl's views or advice, I think it's great that she - and her book - are generating discussion and drawing attention to the challenges and prejudices that women face in the workplace. As a manager, it's also made me think about my role as a mentor and what I could be doing differently.

Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden
I think I read this book in one, maybe two days. It was that gripping and powerful. And shocking. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a true story, and that tens of thousands of North Koreans are experiencing this kind of unimaginable terror and abuse right now, yet most of us never give it a passing thought.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
The Bloggess was one of the first blogs I read regularly, so I was interested in reading Jenny's first book (oh, and it was another online book club pick). The book is similar to her blog, so if you like that, you'll like this.

Far From The Tree by Andrew Solomon
This was a long, dense read, and while I struggled to get through it at times, I was so glad I pushed myself to keep reading. It was sad, disturbing, hopeful and thought-provoking. As a parent, it both scared me and made me feel incredibly grateful, and it gave me an even greater sense of understanding and compassion for other parents.

Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
This was the first book voted off Canada Reads 2014, but I'm sure that won't dissuade anyone from picking it up. I actually checked it out of the library thinking it was something else, and now I'm two books into the trilogy. With her usual wit, Atwood describes a dystopian future that feels a little too close for comfort.

Annabel by Kathleen Winter
Another Canada Reads contender, and while I instantly connected with this book, the ending sort of fell apart for me. There was a definite shift in the storytelling, and I felt like some key characters were left behind in a way that I found really unsatisfying.

Money Rules by Gail Vaz Oxlade
I love Gail's no-nonsense approach to money, so I read this book for fun. If you've seen her shows, you know what to expect, but it was a good reminder that there are some nagging financial tasks I need to take care of (hello, will).

Cockroach by Rawi Hage
Yup, another Canada Reads book. This one was hard for me to get into, but when things finally 'clicked', I couldn't put it down. The book offers a different perspective than I've read before (that of an immigrant living in Montreal), and the parts I enjoyed most focused on the immigrant experience and the accompanying poverty.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Of course I had to go back and read the first book in this trilogy (which was already on our book shelf, funnily enough). My in-laws gifted me MaddAddam for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.

OK, that's my list. Which books have you read recently? Anything you'd recommend I pick up in 2014?

0 comments:

Post a Comment