Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 24 March 2014

Info Post

I haven't sewn anything in awhile, but I was sick and tired of looking at the huge, brown and beige floral pillows on our living room floor. They started out as protection from the brick hearth when Hannah was learning to walk, and evolved into floor pillows/dog beds. Since they're obviously not temporary (despite what I may have been telling myself), I decided to sew new covers.


Ikea's VILMIE RUND blanket was taking up space in our closet, so why not turn it into a pair of pillow covers - tassels included?


Maddie approves :) I think the tassels are my favourite part (and the fact that they match the rest of our living room is pretty nice too).


Two things made this project different from pillow covers I've sewn in the past: the tassels and sew-on velcro.


1: I was able to use the lines on my fabric as a guide, so I skipped the measuring tape and cut around the old pillows. I cut from both ends of the blanket to take advantage of all the tassel-y goodness. 

2&3: To avoid accidentally trapping my tassels inside the pillow cover, I matched my pieces right sides together (as per usual), then tucked the tassels in before pinning my seams.

4&5: I thought velcro would be easier to sew on than a zipper, which was kind of true and kind of not. It definitely requires a heavy duty needle (which I learned the hard way), and I even broke a couple of those. 


So much better than before - and cozier, too. Now I don't mind them hanging out in the living room and we've got more space in the closet.

Happy Monday! xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment