Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 19 November 2014

Info Post

Back in May, I shared our plans to convert part of our basement into a shared space for Adam and Hannah. About one-third of the room has been transformed into Hannah's playroom (more on that later) and now I've started making some small updates to Adam's studio - like adding these simple shelves.



We found the metal brackets in our garage. They were part of the most ridiculous set of "shelves" I've ever seen - think scrap 2x4s haphazardly nailed onto the brackets. Anyway, I spray painted them white and picked up some raw pine shelves at a home improvement store for around $10 each.


They house all of Adam's drum and guitar books, and some "just for fun" stuff, like the old fan my dad and his wife found while cleaning out their retirement house. I'm pretty sure it works, and therefore terrified that someone will accidentally cut their finger off, so it stays on the highest shelf, far away from any outlets. I'd like to add another plant to that vase (I spray painted it white months ago and drew the design with a Sharpie). Something that doesn't require a lot of light. Or frequent watering. Basically something that can withstand the neglect it's sure to receive.


I didn't paint or stain the shelves, and I actually like the plain look. I wish I was a better photographer, because they really make the space feel cozier. I mean, it's still a basement with exposed ceilings (not the good kind) in an old house, but it feels like we're finally on the right track with this space. 

P.S. In case you're wondering, the mirror is for Adam's drum students to watch their technique (or something like that). And yes, my painted frame needs a few touch-ups.

0 comments:

Post a Comment