Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 9 April 2014

Info Post

The next big project we hope to tackle around here is replacing the flooring in our kitchen, living and dining rooms (oh, how I've dreamed of this day). All three are connected, so using the same flooring should help our tiny main floor feel more cohesive and - one can dream! - larger.

After much waffling, we've decided to go with a cork floating floor. We love the hardwood we installed upstairs, but we want to do something different with the main floor. And while I had my heart set on wide plank white oak, my fears about how the two floors would play together kept me from pulling the trigger. Cork, on the other hand, is decidedly different and completely complimentary (I swear the alliteration was not intentional). Plus, it's sustainable, hypoallergenic, quiet, WARM, and resistant to insects, mold and mildew. Our main floor sits over an insulated, but unheated, crawl space and the cheap laminate floors we have now always feel cold to the touch. Warm is good.

Anyway, we ordered a huge pile of samples and narrowed it down to the three choices shown above (I've been working with this company and so far their customer service has been amazing). I actually love all three options, but the sample on the right (middle sample in the top photo) is the clear winner. I just love the pattern and think it will be even better on a larger scale. To help you picture it, here are some pretty rooms with cork floors:

via

via

via

via

via

I really didn't know there were so many options.

After we install the floors, we're planning to seal them with a high quality polyurethane to ensure they're completely waterproof and extra durable. And that means we need to set aside a good chunk of time to get this job done. We've got a lot going on over the next couple of months, but I've got my fingers crossed for late June/early July. With the way things have been going lately, I'm pretty sure the time will fly by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment