Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 17 March 2015

Info Post

My paternal grandmother was part of a large Irish family whose children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren still get together every year to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with a traditional Irish meal. A couple of years ago, Adam and I were in New England for St. Patrick's Day and got to enjoy the festivities. I was pregnant with Hannah at the time, and a vegetarian to boot, so I missed out on the two things most commonly associated with St. Patrick's Day (beer and corned beef). This year, I decided to try my hand at something even pregnant vegetarians can enjoy: Irish Soda Bread.


I followed this recipe from Canadian Living. I didn't have any buttermilk on hand, so I made my own using milk and vinegar (recipe here). I'm a bread baking novice, and this recipe was perfect for me (really quick and easy to follow).



Did I mention that this bread is delicious? I ate it warm with butter and homemade port wine jelly, but we're planning to have it again for supper with some vegetarian stew (and a beer or two).

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment