Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 31 December 2014

Info Post
When you blog about your house and read a lot of blogs about other people's houses, it sometimes feels like you're on a treadmill, always running towards the next big project or purchase: new finishes, better furniture, the latest must-have accessory.

There's plenty of research showing that experiences bring us more pleasure than things. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, so much so that I've set a goal to buy less and do more in 2015. I love to travel, but doing more can be as simple as going for a walk or taking advantage of what's already going on in your town or city (like checking out a new restaurant or taking in some live music). This year, I want to start asking myself: do I really want this new pillow/chair/tchotchke, or would the money be better spent saving for a vacation or taking a day trip somewhere new?

Here are several of my favourite experiences from 2014:


In April, Hannah and I spent a relaxing week in Florida visiting my brother and his family. We swam in the pool, took a trip to Sea World, and even got in on an Easter egg hunt. It was Hannah's first time on a plane and my first time travelling with her alone, but thanks to your great advice, we survived the trip just fine :)


We kicked off the summer by spending a night in Tatamagouche's Train Station Inn. Hannah - who loves all things train-related - had a great time and I think we'd all like to make the trip again, maybe next time with a beach day thrown in.


In July, I flew to Boston for a conference and tacked a few extra days onto my trip to visit with friends and family. It was awesome.


We threw an impromptu party to celebrate Hannah's second birthday on our DIY patio (and I got to decorate our brand new fence)...


 And we took a mini-vacation right here at home with a trip to Cape Breton and Guysborough County.


But the highlight of my summer (year?) was the week Adam and I spent in Cologne, Germany...


...which included a spectacular day cruise through the Upper Middle Rhine Valley and our first airbnb experience (we totally hit the jackpot).


We managed to squeeze in one last beach day before the weather turned cooler...


And we capped off September with a weekend trip to Montreal (that's Hannah running around atop Mont Royal).


Yes, we really love the beach around here, even in November.

And now for the best part: planning our adventures in 2015!

0 comments:

Post a Comment