Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 5 January 2015

Info Post

Remember when I talked about stripping and staining our dining room table, and a few of you were like, "Awesome! Only, won't that be a lot of work?"

Yeah. I started the project, abandoned the project, then convinced Adam that we should probably invest in a new table. Luckily, I found this beautiful old table for sale on Kijiji; it had been lovingly rescued from an old church that was being torn down.


Since our dining room table is also a desk, craft table and occasional sewing table, I love that this table is big enough to do it all (our round table worked well in the space, but it never felt big enough). I also like that there's nothing precious about this table: the more we beat it up, the more it adds to the table's character.


Now I really can't wait to add built-in shelves around the dining room window (something like this or this). I think shelves will help balance the size of the table (plus, we could use the extra storage space). The chairs likely aren't permanent, but they're easy to clean (as much as I like my black Windsor chairs, it turns out it's a real pain to clean food and other Hannah messes off all those spindles) and the arms help keep Hannah in her seat during mealtimes (although she's already learning how to wriggle her way through the hole in the back). 

We've had the table for several days now, and I think we'd all agree that it suits our lifestyle much better than the old one. While I've resolved to spend money on experiences instead of things in 2015, anything we do buy should help our lives function better or simplify them in some way. This table? It does both. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment